My Happy Place
Discovering Stockport’s next generation of artists.
In the year Stockport has been named Town of Culture, John Lewis Cheadle and Art Battle Manchester present ‘My Happy Place’. An art competition for inspiring young creatives to showcase their talents and compete for some top prizes.
Stockport is brimming with artistic talent, and this competition will see established local artists select the next generation of young artists from across the borough. The Happy Place exhibition is expected to give insights into the places that are most revered in the eyes of Stockport’s young people.
In the spirit of Town of Culture’s ‘A year of art for everyone’ the exhibition will celebrate the town’s young artists, talent and provide them with an opportunity to celebrate and showcase their work.
Lucky winners will have their artwork displayed at John Lewis Cheadle. In addition to having their work displayed in a place visited by thousands each week, each artist will be awarded top prizes.
Artists aged 5-18 years are encouraged to show their special place in the world and what it means to them. Submissions are encouraged from different genres of art, including but not limited to painting, mosaics, tapestry, illustrations, digital media, photography. The only limitation is the ability to hang artwork on the walls.
Entries must include an image of the artwork which should have been created in the last 12 months and a short paragraph telling the story of piece.
Art Battle Manchester, who have been providing a platform for local artists for the last 10 years, will be the official delivery partner for MY HAPPY PLACE.
Oh, and it’s FREE to enter, so get your entries in now!
The deadline is 29th February 2024
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit images of your artwork via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will need your full name, age category, the contact email of a parent/guardian, a picture of the artwork and a short description of your Happy Place.
The maximum size of artwork is A1.
Submissions will be grouped into age categories:
Key Stage 1 (5-7 years)
Key Stage 2 (7-11 years)
Key Stage 3 (11-14 years)
Key Stage 4 (14-16 years)
6th Form/Years 12-13 (16-18 years)
All entries will receive a ‘£5 off £50 spend’ (T&C’s apply) voucher for John Lewis Cheadle. Please show your art entry email at the Experience Desk, John Lewis Cheadle, to receive your voucher.
Work will be put forward to a judging panel of established local artists including:
- Kate O’Brien – Painter
- Lucy Burgess – Painter
- Lauren Carroll – Art Battle Manchester Champion
- Oskar with a K – Street Artist
The decision of the judging panel is final. Artists will be notified of the outcome of their submission shortly after the selection process whether selected or not.
Winners will be notified shortly after the selection process via email or telephone.
3 winners will be chosen from each age category.
- An allocated exhibition space within the John Lewis Cheadle store to display their winning piece.
- Create your own mood board with the John Lewis Cheadle Home Design Stylists for the room of your choice (half day)
- Half day experience with John Lewis Cheadle Personal Stylists learning how to style the perfect outfit for any occasion!
- VIP Tour of John Lewis & Partners Textile Factory, Herbert Parkinson, in Darwen (date to be agreed – must be accompanied by adult & arrange own travel)
- Create an inspirational shop display with John Lewis Cheadle Visual Merchandising Team (half day)
- John Lewis Sewing Machine (Key Stage 4 plus – to maximum value of £145)
- Make-up creative tutorial with one of our fabulous beauty brands at John Lewis Cheadle (1.5 hrs / Key Stage 4 & 6th Form students)
- Derwent Coloured Pencils Set*, or Derwent Sketching Pencils Set*, or Derwent Paint Set*
*Selection subject to availability & to a maximum value of £30)
- Buttonbag Crafting Kit (select from Knitting, Sewing, Jewellery Kits**)
**Selection subject to availability & to maximum value of £45
As well as the winners from each catergory, a selection of pieces will also be chosen to be displayed within the John Lewis Cheadle store during the exhibition period.
Artwork must include a suitable hanging system.
Artists will be given a date which they are required to deliver the work to the John Lewis Cheadle store and work must be delivered in person.
All works will be condition checked upon arrival. Any works that arrive damaged will need to be removed by the artist.
All work delivered must be properly packaged and labelled.
DELIVERY AND COLLECTION OF WORK
All expenses associated with delivery (physical exhibition) will be the artists/their guardian/schools responsibility.
Artists/their guardian or school will be given a date to collect the work from the John Lewis Cheadle store during trading hours following the end of the exhibition period.
Condition of the artwork will be checked and logged before collection.
Art Battle Manchester and John Lewis shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any loss, damage, destruction, deterioration or wear, including damage to frames caused to a work submitted for or exhibited during the exhibition.